The Company is committed to continuous efforts to improve environmental performance in all areas required by our EMS (which is a part of our SMS) and throughout its operations and towards a cleaner marine environment. Furthermore the Company is committed:
- to pollution prevention that emphasizes source reduction, including funding and human resources necessary to effectively maintain and repair the systems, equipment and components found in machinery spaces of vessels;
- to continuous reduction of environmental risks;
- to sharing information on environmental performance with external stakeholders.
The Company’s goal is to achieve ZERO incidents and ZERO spills through continuous improvement.
- For achieving this goal, the Company:
- complies with all applicable environmental laws, regulations and requirements and applies responsible standards where laws, regulations and requirements do not exist;
- establishes and maintains a Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP) which should be regularly reviewed by the senior management of the Company. This Plan, which applies to all fleet vessels, provides standard procedures and practices on best energy management under the various operational modes of the vessel;
- responds quickly and effectively to environmental incidents resulting from its operations, in co-operation with industry organizations and authorized government agencies;
- shows concern and respect for the environment, emphasizes every employee’s responsibility in environmental performance and fosters appropriate operating practices and training;
- undertakes appropriate reviews and evaluations of its operations to measure progress and to foster compliance with this Policy;
- conducts and supports research to improve understanding of the impact of its business on the environment, to improve methods of environmental protection and to enhance its capability to make operations compatible with the environment;
- manages its business with the goal of preventing environmental incidents and of controlling emissions and wastes to below harmful levels;
- is against any incentive or bonus programs based on minimizing operational costs associated with the operation, maintenance and repair of machinery space systems, equipment and components to ensure that employees do not avoid such costs and thereby sacrifice environmental compliance;
- designs, operates and maintains facilities to this end;
- shares its experience with others to facilitate improvements in industry performance.
The Environmental Policy has the full support of Senior Management and applies to all employees of the Company.